7/31/10

Thing #38

I think libraries could embrace almost any 2.0 services and use it as a successful marketing tool. The article was good. I noticed that the article was however from 2007. I think it would be interesting to see if or how the author might update these strategies now that Web 2.0 is so common.

The first thing I would think about when making a plan is what are strengths of the librarian or staff. In order for the marketing plan to be successful it has to be maintained. It would be important to pick a service or services that folks would enjoy maintaining. As we all know we are more likely to do something in a timely manner if we enjoy doing it. My marketing plan would probably focus on Flicker to start with. I sleeted the topic of Flickr for Thing #36. I really think what Jeff Dawson from the Lester Public did was amazing.

It may be easy enough for the librarian and staff to take pictures of the library and put them up on Flickr but what if you ask the patrons to help. Getting the patrons involved will help create traffic on your site. Here's a few ideas that come to mind.

Ask the teens to help. Provide them with an easy to use digital camera and have them take pictures of the library both inside and out. Encourage them to take unique pictures.

  • Let them take some books off the shelf and pile them up.
  • Have them take a picture of someone's eyes as they look through the shelves.
  • Most digital cameras can also record short videos that can be uploaded to Flickr. Provide them with some old books that they can set up like dominoes and record them falling down.

If there's a local camera club in town invite them to come to the library and take pictures. If the group is large it might be useful to schedule a time when the library is closed so they won't feel in the way of patrons. After the event ask them to provide you with some of their best photos and add them to your account. Don't forget to give them credit when you post their photo.

Throughout this process post pictures of events going on at the library. As you start posting photos to your account start promoting your Flickr account. Encourage the kids to show their parents the photos they took. Put a few photos in the newspaper and include a link to your Flickr account and invite folks to add their comment. You could even turn it into a competition and ask folks to leave a comment on their favorite photo. Continue to add items showing folks all of the great things going on in the library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was an older article. But, the info still seemed to apply, so I thought it was a good start. I totally agree with you that using something you like, or are very familiar/comfortable with, makes getting started with something new much easier. I hope some libraries will see your ideas and use them!