10/31/10

Thing #41

As I was working on Thing #41 I couldn’t decide if I loved it or hated it. I really enjoyed looking at the “how to” sites but then again that is the problem. I've been working on this Thing on and odd for days. I spent hours last night looking at the different sites and found a lot of things I’d like to try and make.

Out of the sites listed I spent the most time on the Instructables site. I actually like the fact that not everything on the site is a video. I like to be able to quickly glance at the pictures and instruction instead of having to watch a video. That said however there are some things that a video would defiantly be better for. Here are just a few of the topics I explored:
  • I hate to admit it but I was intrigued by the Duct Tape contest. The librarian in my thought about making a book cover but many people have already done that so I guess I need a new idea.
  • Months ago I was looking at this lamp shade but have never been brave enough to try and make it. I actually wish these instructions included a video. I would really like to see how they make all of those pieces fist and stay together.
  • In my looking I also ran across this String Art Necklace. I'm not sure a like having so many pieces together but I think one or two could make a nice pendent. They remind me of the old Spirograph I use to play with.
  • I also just spent time I should have been using to type my blog to watch three videos on how to make Resin Jewelry Tutorial. I admired this type of jewelry at the farmer's market this year. I may have to head to the craft store for supplies and trying making one of these. They could make nice Christmas gifts.

I think I better stop looking at and finish my blog post. I could spend all night looking at these sites and finding projects I want to try. If you can't tell I really enjoy looking at these sites.

I think these types of “how to” sites are defiantly a great supplement to any print and/or video collection a library may have. Here are just a few reasons why:

  • Easy of access – you may be at home working on something and need to know how to do something right now.
  • People have many different learning styles and these sites offer a different option for those folks who may learn well from reading a book.
  • There are a lot of creative folks in the world that may never have their projects or ideas published in a book. As we know anyone can put anything on the web and these sites give creative people a way to share their creative ideas.
Now that my blog post is done should I go to bed, explore more projects I'd like to try or make a string necklace?

1 comment:

Susan said...

Make a string necklace!